predator hunting
Close

Sergeant

Default predator hunting

Do we have fox and coyote hunters? If so do you run them with dogs or call? Day or night time calling?
    I'll never turn my back on what I believe or let my heart be ruled by greed.... Aaron Tippin

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Call @ night
    Bullets First

Sergeant

I hadn't fox hunted in a lot of years and last year when I got back into calling at night I either forgot how to do it or there just aren't the amount of greys around like there used to be. How are the greys in your area? Time permitting this winter i plan to do some day light coyote calling, tried a few times in the past with no luck.
    I'll never turn my back on what I believe or let my heart be ruled by greed.... Aaron Tippin

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

I do not hunt coyotes or foxes but our area is teaming with both. Red foxes at least. A couple years ago I found 3 newborn red foxes in a shed on my property. I just let them be. Coyotes are getting a bit unruly. When our goats kid in the Spring I am on the defense, yotes love baby goats. My dogs keep them at bay but every year they get more brave.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by criticalt View Post
    I do not hunt coyotes or foxes but our area is teaming with both. Red foxes at least. A couple years ago I found 3 newborn red foxes in a shed on my property. I just let them be. Coyotes are getting a bit unruly. When our goats kid in the Spring I am on the defense, yotes love baby goats. My dogs keep them at bay but every year they get more brave.
    Sounds like some good hunting! I'm guessing you are in a residential area you can't shoot them?

Quote Originally Posted by criticalt View Post
    This past Sunday I was on the Comp. and a Coyote walked right past the window at 10:00am, I'm 450 feet back off the road and surrounded by a few 100 acres of woods. That when I got to thinking I haven't seen the rabbits when I pull into the driveway. So I took my Rem 597 22 mag to the range to make sure it was still sighted in! Had just shot the Mini 14 the day before so I know that's good to go!

Major

I call at night but its tough going.There are to many guys running yotes with dogs in my area so the population is low and any that are around are pretty skiddish . If i get out before there is snow on the ground its easier but once the snow hits and them guys can see tracks its pretty much over.They drive the roads before daylight looking for fresh tracks and let the dogs go,makes it hard for the caller guys.I know of three groups in my area and each group will kill at least 70 yotes a season, doesnt leave much for the night guys.
    "A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty."

CoC= Phelon

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by SJ42 View Post
    I call at night but its tough going.There are to many guys running yotes with dogs in my area so the population is low and any that are around are pretty skiddish . If i get out before there is snow on the ground its easier but once the snow hits and them guys can see tracks its pretty much over.They drive the roads before daylight looking for fresh tracks and let the dogs go,makes it hard for the caller guys.I know of three groups in my area and each group will kill at least 70 yotes a season, doesnt leave much for the night guys.
    Same situation here. I have a few friends that run hounds and I've joined them a few times, calling is without doubt my favorite way to hunt for fox and coyotes. The coyotes themselves have made calling greys especially harder than it used to be. A grey would charge acrossed a 400 yard field years ago now I'm lucky to bring one ten yards out of the thick brush.

Sergeant

Good start to the season, no coyotes yet. IMG_20151026_083824148.jpgIMG_20151031_094342090.jpg

Private

I always call (electronic callers) at night.