New to Shooting with My Remington 783 Need advice. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Private

Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    I use the swivel ones. If you have the swivel one and you are prone or sitting, you can anti-cant the weapon easily to get level. Use this following level for $4.
    Anti Cant Spirit Bubble Level for 20mm Rifle Scope Sight Rail Weave Picatinny | eBay

Note: For you to attach this level, you need a 1-piece base. Here is a base for $40
    EGW Remington 783 Picatinny Scope Mount 0 MOA | eBay
    Now that a simple yet nifty little tool!

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Here is what your rifle should look like after you put on the one-piece base and the $4 level. Notice that I put the $4 level about a half inch in front of the rear ring. There is no specific spot to set it other than what looks easy for you to peer at with your weak eye. Speaking of which - check to see which of your eyes is dominant. The level can stick out either side - stick it to your weak eye. So in my rifle I am left eye dominant. I therefore stick all of mine out to the right. This way without changing my cheek weld or moving my eye relief, I can peer down with Top turret is elevation.. Side turret is windage. If you are not level with your weapon, then your elevation turret will have an effect on your windage and your windage turret will have an effect on elevation. It will make you insane trying to dial it in, so always be level.

Okay, first that looks awesome! Second, how do I determine which eye is my dominant eye?

Lots of good solid advice here to build on, but don't forget...Breath Control
    "We Are Not Descended From Fearful Men"

4. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Private

So folks a few thing have happened since my last post. I haven't been able to make it to the range as much as I wanted to because of work. But that's all about to change this week because I am on vacation (woo hoo). But the Mrs. was awesome as always and took my to Gander Mountain to replace the stock scope before I tried sighting in the rifle. I purchased an Leupold VX-I and mounted over this past weekend. Wow what a difference! So hopefully later this evening I will make it out to the range to sight this puppy in properly. However their longest range is 50 yards. Any suggestions or advice? Also I can't seem to find a good check rest to make looking through the scope just that more comfortable. Any thoughts on where a good place to look would be?

Use a ballistics calculator to see where your bullet should hit at on the 50yd target as if you were shooting at 200yds. Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

You have to know what ammo you are using and what its specs are,,,,velocity and ballistic coefficient
    Bullets First

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynatal View Post
    Okay, first that looks awesome! Second, how do I determine which eye is my dominant eye?
    With both eyes open, point your finger at a distant object. Close one eye, then switch and close the other eye. Your finger should appear to move off or away from the object when one eye is closed. If the finger does not appear to move, then the eye you closed is your nondominant eye.

Another variation of this test is to stretch your arms out in front of you and form a triangular-shaped hole with your fingers. Look through this hole at an object about 10 feet (3 m) away, keeping both eyes open. Without moving, close one eye, then the other. The object should appear to move, possibly out of the triangular window, when you close one of your eyes. If it moves, then you are looking through your nondominant eye.
    “Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence.” – George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynatal View Post
    So folks a few thing have happened since my last post. I haven't been able to make it to the range as much as I wanted to because of work. But that's all about to change this week because I am on vacation (woo hoo). But the Mrs. was awesome as always and took my to Gander Mountain to replace the stock scope before I tried sighting in the rifle. I purchased an Leupold VX-I and mounted over this past weekend. Wow what a difference! So hopefully later this evening I will make it out to the range to sight this puppy in properly. However their longest range is 50 yards. Any suggestions or advice? Also I can't seem to find a good check rest to make looking through the scope just that more comfortable. Any thoughts on where a good place to look would be?
    Here's what I use for cheek rests on all my rifles - I go with black but you could do whatever color you like. $30. They are adjustable by putting more foam under but I seem to need like 0.5" of rise to get perfect welds and sight pictures. My daughters are more like 0.75" to 1" so maybe I have a giant head or something. In the pouch I keep like 20 rounds and a laminated bullet drop chart I make for each type of round. Just Microsoft Excel, and some of that clear packing tape. Nothing fancy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TRAX3XU?psc=1

“Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence.” – George Washington

Corporal

This is some good reading no just purchased the same gun since dicks(sorry guys) had it on sale for 289 plus a 40 Mir. I figured 249 for a scoped .308, why not. Now to sight mine in. I'm a right hand shooter, I tried what was mentioned above about dominant eye. Weird thing is both ways the object moves. I must be doing something wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    This is some good reading no just purchased the same gun since dicks(sorry guys) had it on sale for 289 plus a 40 Mir. I figured 249 for a scoped .308, why not. Now to sight mine in. I'm a right hand shooter, I tried what was mentioned above about dominant eye. Weird thing is both ways the object moves. I must be doing something wrong
    Well both will move but one will move a tiny bit and the other will jump completely out of the triangle by a long shot.

Do this from Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amvwHmnGYU4

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Riverrat View Post
    awesome! That did the trick. Thank you

Corporal

Bore sighted my butt. I took my new 783 out today to sight in. I was dead center just 3 feet down at 100 yds. I couldn't believe it was 3 feet but at least it was center so I just had to go up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12