New to Shooting with My Remington 783 Need advice.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Private

Default New to Shooting with My Remington 783 Need advice.

Hello everyone, so as the title says I am new to shooting and just purchased my first Remington 783 .308 win with the hopes of using it to hunt deer this fall. However, I went to the Gun for Hire range in New Jersey re-signed for my membership and noticed that I am not a good shot at all. I held up my rifle looked through the the scope which my eyes and ear protection didn't allow to be a smooth thing and when I put to crosshairs on the intended target I might as well have been shooting during an earthquake. Any advice on how to get steady while shooting from the shoulder? Or just training advice in general?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Did u site your rifle in before this range trip? When I am hunting I will steady myself off of a tree.
    Last edited by jaywmustang; 07-25-2016 at 12:40 PM.
    S.A.F.E ACT

S.tealing A.rms F.rom E.veryone. A.ndrew C.uomo's T.reachery

Private

Quote Originally Posted by jaywmustang View Post
    Did u site your rifle in before this range trip? When I am hunting I will steady myself off of a tree.
    No, I am ashamed

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

First I would site the rifle in. When I site in my rifle I like to use a front support (bipod,range bags). Do u know how to adjust the optic?
    S.A.F.E ACT

Private

Quote Originally Posted by jaywmustang View Post
    First I would site the rifle in. When I site in my rifle I like to use a front support (bipod,range bags). Do u know how to adjust the optic?
    No, I am assuming I could look up a youtube video but would rather take direction from everyone here.

Postmaster General Darthgamer138's Avatar

Start at 25 yards. Put up a bullseye target. Use the bench to fully support the rifle. Fire 3 shots aiming dead center. See where the shots hit. Note how far of the center of the group is. Now look at your scope. It will tell you how to adjust to make where you are aiming where you are hitting. Make the adjustment and repeat. Then up the distance to 50 or 100.
    Proud NRA ​LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Divemaster Apprentice/Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​I57. Proud Atheist.

TMC

If I can suggest ,look into the proper standing shooting stance and sling manipulation as well as sitting and kneeling positions as used in military marksmanship training.Practicing these will help create muscle strength and muscle memory Attachment 49578look up FM 3-22.9 I think chapter 7 will help

Sergeant

Get a little physical. Push ups for arm strength. Sit ups for core. Practice holding the rifle so it becomes muscle memory. Practice breathing. Lastly keep going to the range.
    Chaos isn't a pit, It's a ladder

Just screw off the caps off your vertical and horizontal adjustments. Most rifle scopes at 100 yards adjust 1/4" per click,it should say on your adjustment knob. Remember when sighting in closer or farther than 100 yards your adjustment values changes. Get your rifle shooting in the center of your paper then move out to 100 yards. Shoot at 100 yards and make your adjustments.
    S.A.F.E ACT

If you need any help sighting i bet you could find somebody locally to help you out.

If you have a large enough target you could sight it in at 50, that's what I do I try my best to line the barrel up with a LARGE piece of cardboard and shoot once. I don't personally bother grouping right off the bat because I know all the bullets are likely to land near where the first did. Then I move the point of impact up or down or left right as necessary. As mentioned, if your scope moves 1/4" at 100 yards, a click will only move it 1/8" at 50 (and also 1/2" at 200!).

If your ultimate goal is to have this zeroed at 100, which is pretty standard, you'll want to be hitting an inch or more low at 50 yards. This is because the scope, sitting above your barrel, will point a line to the target and the barrel is actually pointing an elevated line up toward where the scope is seeing. To exagerate this effect, imagine if you were hitting dead on at 100 yards and now you aim at something 5' in front of you and fire, the barrel is way below what you're looking at by a couple of inches, right?

Most important you will really have to find somewhere to stabilize this gun while shooting. You want it as stable as possible, ideally on a bench when sighting so that you're removing all the shaking inherent with shooting while standing up. You certainly could zero standing up but it's preferable not to.

Snazzy image, this is an ar15 but it doesn't matter. Shows what some might initially consider surprising, that if you zero at a particular distance you could find the bullet hitting below that point both closer and further than that distance. But with a fast round if you're zeroed at 100 you can hold over vitals basically from 0-150 yards and still be good and maybe raise up a touch at 200 to account for a few inches drop.

Last edited by Blimey; 07-25-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    Start at 25 yards. Put up a bullseye target. Use the bench to fully support the rifle. Fire 3 shots aiming dead center. See where the shots hit. Note how far of the center of the group is. Now look at your scope. It will tell you how to adjust to make where you are aiming where you are hitting. Make the adjustment and repeat. Then up the distance to 50 or 100.
    I will try to get out to the indoor range this weekend to get it sighted properly. Can anyone make suggestions for a good bi-pod for my rifle?

Private

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    If I can suggest ,look into the proper standing shooting stance and sling manipulation as well as sitting and kneeling positions as used in military marksmanship training.Practicing these will help create muscle strength and muscle memory Attachment 49578look up FM 3-22.9 I think chapter 7 will help
    Thank you. I'll take all the recommendations I can get. I will work on correcting my stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynatal View Post
    I will try to get out to the indoor range this weekend to get it sighted properly. Can anyone make suggestions for a good bi-pod for my rifle?

Harris bipod for $50 on ebay.
    “Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence.” – George Washington

No, I am assuming I could look up a youtube video but would rather take direction from everyone here.
    Take the bolt out of the rifle and put the rifle in a stand on a picnic table. Make the stand out of an old blanket or some socks. Now look through the barrel as it's pointed at something 100 yards away (length of a football field / length of 5 Chevy Suburbans.

Look through the scope - is it pointing at the same spot you see looking through the barrel? If not; top knob = up/down, right knob = left/right. Your crosshairs should be seeing the same spot as the barrel, give or take an inch or so. Then when you shoot for real it will be on the paper target.
    “Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence.” – George Washington

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Harris bipod for $50 on ebay.
    There are a few models. Some with Swivel capabilities some with extension from 5 to 9 inches and 9 to 13? Any recommendations? I don't mind spending the money for a good bi-pod.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Snappo View Post
    Take the bolt out of the rifle and put the rifle in a stand on a picnic table. Make the stand out of an old blanket or some socks. Now look through the barrel as it's pointed at something 100 yards away (length of a football field / length of 5 Chevy Suburbans.

Look through the scope - is it pointing at the same spot you see looking through the barrel? If not; top knob = up/down, right knob = left/right. Your crosshairs should be seeing the same spot as the barrel, give or take an inch or so. Then when you shoot for real it will be on the paper target.
    Snappo, I will definitely give this a try later this evening after I finishing cleaning my rifle from this weekends activities. I appreciate the help.

Harris bipods are good bipods. I prefer the swivel ones, so you can move the gun. I also prefer pods that run from 12" up to 25", so I can use the the thing while sitting in the field. The smaller pods are for laying on the ground or shooting off a bench.
    Bullets First

You have the perfect attitude for a new shooter. Many (including me) would just keep shooting in denial and wasting ammo instead of asking for guidance.
    Judging from what I have seen above, and as always around here, You have come to the right place.

I second the "pull the bolt out" method for initial zeroing of a scoped bolt action.

I agree with the pulling the bolt deal. Also, you can get a gun rest which is an enormous help IMO. If the gun is hitting where you aim on the stand but not off it then you know that it's the operator not the gun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...=Shooting+gun+

There are a few models. Some with Swivel capabilities some with extension from 5 to 9 inches and 9 to 13? Any recommendations? I don't mind spending the money for a good bi-pod.
    I use the swivel ones. If you have the swivel one and you are prone or sitting, you can anti-cant the weapon easily to get level. Use this following level for $4.
    Anti Cant Spirit Bubble Level for 20mm Rifle Scope Sight Rail Weave Picatinny | eBay

Note: For you to attach this level, you need a 1-piece base. Here is a base for $40
    EGW Remington 783 Picatinny Scope Mount 0 MOA | eBay

Here is what your rifle should look like after you put on the one-piece base and the $4 level. Notice that I put the $4 level about a half inch in front of the rear ring. There is no specific spot to set it other than what looks easy for you to peer at with your weak eye. Speaking of which - check to see which of your eyes is dominant. The level can stick out either side - stick it to your weak eye. So in my rifle I am left eye dominant. I therefore stick all of mine out to the right. This way without changing my cheek weld or moving my eye relief, I can peer down with Top turret is elevation.. Side turret is windage. If you are not level with your weapon, then your elevation turret will have an effect on your windage and your windage turret will have an effect on elevation. It will make you insane trying to dial it in, so always be level.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by JamieZ View Post
    Harris bipods are good bipods. I prefer the swivel ones, so you can move the gun. I also prefer pods that run from 12" up to 25", so I can use the the thing while sitting in the field. The smaller pods are for laying on the ground or shooting off a bench.
    I actually just ordered the Harris HBRMS Bi-pod and should have it on Monday. It swivels side to side. But their is an attachment to rotate but the guys at Harris wanted to make sure this fit my rifle first.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    You have the perfect attitude for a new shooter. Many (including me) would just keep shooting in denial and wasting ammo instead of asking for guidance.
    Judging from what I have seen above, and as always around here, You have come to the right place.
    Thank you. I want to learn right. I'm not a person who think their awesome at everything and I definitely don't want to waste peoples time. I do very much appreciate advice from the veteran shooters.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by BDinPutnam View Post
    I second the "pull the bolt out" method for initial zeroing of a scoped bolt action.
    Since I'm waiting for my bi-pod to come in I will give this a go in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast