I was able to get some training with Rochester Personal Defense!
Close

Corporal

Thumbs up I was able to get some training with Rochester Personal Defense!

I was very happy with the Conceal Carry Basics course that I took with Rochester Personal Defense last week.
    I have not had much opportunity to fit training into my work and home schedule but was pleased to see that RPD had a basic class on a rare free day.
    I have taken a basic pistol class before but it has been about 3-1/2 years and I can always use work on the fundamentals of shooting. I also wanted to see how RPD approached those fundamentals. Professionally, that's how. Lew and Chris did a great job taking turns reviewing the lecture material: safety, handgun and trigger types, different types of ammo, misfires and malfunctions, touching somewhat on the legal use of deadly physical force.
    The class was small, only 8 of us on that hot, humid day. The progression of the shooting part instilled confidence as well as skills. Beginning with dryfire they would check our stance, grip and trigger control. Then loading the magazines (everyone had semi-autos) with a single cartridge and slowly progressing to full magazines to practice every part of loading firing and then clearing a gun multiple times. To change up things up a little they would try a few drills, aiming after different targets or shooting different strings to practice reacquiring our front sights and resetting the trigger.
    Finally, they spoke about little details that I imagine might get overlooked in a basic course: cleaning and lubing the firearm, and lead exposure and safety. Things like cleaning our shoes and boots to remove lead dust picked up on the range struck me as a useful but oft-forgotten step that usually is not discussed.
    Throughout the entire day the common theme was SAFETY, whether we were in the classroom, down on the range or eating lunch. This included the frequently repeated four gun-handling and shooting rules. However, it went beyond that to things such as the above mentioned decreasing lead exposure by washing hands and cleaning clothes, accessories to keep guns safe when not in our hands such as holsters and gun safes, staying hydrated throughout the humid shirt-soaking weather, what does qualities does a good holster have, etc.
    The fact that Lew and Chris did all this with professionalism as well as amiability.
    And the price was incredibly affordable.
    I would absolutely recommend this class to anyone, including my family and friends, and look forward to taking more classes with these fantastic instructors.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Major

I have taken a number of classes from RPD and can vouch for them as well.

Sergeant

Thanks for the great review. I have been teaching with Rochester Personal Defense for 5 years now and I really enjoy it. . Glad that you liked the class. Good conscientious, safe gun handlers are always welcome. Please come train some more with us. CCW1 is coming up on the 22nd of September.
    "I'm still breathing, and that means it's not over."

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFireArms.com
    Advertisements

Anthony: Thanks for the great review. It is always great to hear your thoughts afterwards. We pride ourselves in providing the highest quality, up to date, and relevant training possible in the industry.

When we get notes such as this prom you, it makes all the hard work and effort worth it. Stay safe, keep training, and see you soon!

Dave
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for: Well, pretty much everything!
    Handgun Combatives Certified Instructor
    USCCA Certified Instructor/Training Counselor
    Sig Master Handgun Instructor
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

RPD helped me upgrade my permit from "sportsman" to unrestricted.
    Oswego County Handgun Safety Instructor
    Basic Pistol, Pers. Prot. Home and, PP Outside Home Instructor

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by obiwankabaldi View Post
    Thanks for the great review. I have been teaching with Rochester Personal Defense for 5 years now and I really enjoy it. . Glad that you liked the class. Good conscientious, safe gun handlers are always welcome. Please come train some more with us. CCW1 is coming up on the 22nd of September.
    Thanks for the invite and will love to get more training. I am definitely keeping an eye on the schedule for course days when I am available.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    Anthony: Thanks for the great review. It is always great to hear your thoughts afterwards. We pride ourselves in providing the highest quality, up to date, and relevant training possible in the industry.

When we get notes such as this prom you, it makes all the hard work and effort worth it. Stay safe, keep training, and see you soon!

Dave
    Thank you, Dave, for offering fantastic training. Hope to get out there again soon.
    Anthony