Shooting Trap over Niagara
Close

Private

Default Shooting Trap over Niagara

I live along the upper Niagara River and have duck hunted off the end of our dock. I know this to be legal as I have several friends that have been doing it for decades. QUESTION; Is it legal to shoot trap off our dock as long as we use steel shot? Is it mandatory that we use steel?

If anyone knows where I can find information pertaining to these questions please post links here.

Thank you! Critt

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Colonel

I believe it is mandatory to use steel shot over any waterway. If you’re going to shoot trap with steel shot man you must be wealthy. That will cost you an arm and a leg.
    it’s even illegal to sell lead sinker in NYS now.

Private

If I am not mistaken, Clay birds contain petroleum products. If I am correct, shooting trap would be illegal as pieces of the clay bird would end up in the water and could be consumed by water foul. Also as has been previously mentioned, steel shot is expensive. Heavy usage as is seen when shooting trap, would I think cause excessive wear on your barrel.

Private

maybe not so much the barrel as the choke tube, make sure it is rated for steel